Friday, February 6, 2015

Songbirds painting and developing my voice


























The above painting is something I finished last year and I’m very proud of it. I enjoy the layers seen and nearly seen. I love the quote, which I incorporated into the landscape. I love that this was very organic as it was created. I had no idea what it would become, simply used my own intuition to create it.


close up of quote, texture, goodness





















For me, this painting represents my growth as an artist and the development of my own style – layers of paint, glue, paper, texture, molding paste through stencils – all of it makes me exceedingly happy. I got some very good advice last year that my style can be anything that lights me up, and this certainly does.

I attempted to create another one of these, and failed miserably. It is sitting in my studio closet forgotten because I got so frustrated with trying to force it. You cannot force something like the above painting. That is what I learned. If you aren’t in the flow and thinking too much, it isn't the best. And well, sometimes it still works, but other times it just makes a mess that you have to set aside or paint over and start again.

I can see my development in my LifeBook from 2014, where I experimented with color and texture and techniques. It was a huge thing for me. Now, I draw everyday. I put my energy into working with my materials and practicing my skills. During the 10x10x10x10, I've been figuring out what to do first, second, etc. So that there's some semblance of a pattern that will get me to the result that I love like I do the above painting (which I am just realizing doesn't have a title. It's hanging in our bathroom). Duplicating it is important for my own sanity. I don't want it to be a one-off. I want a whole series of birds! 

Happy Friday. I'm off to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment